Bohl's Blog

my digital life

Install Windows8 Consumer Preview as VHD-Boot

Did you know that it is possible to install Windows8 (Consumer Preview at this time) into a VHD (and boot into this VHD). I knew about this feature before, but now it was finally time to give it a try.
The installation of Windows8 went smooth as described here (but now with Windows8 instead of Windows7). This is such a cool feature - no need to partition your harddisk or something, all is inside a single file!

VHDs are something I wanted to take a deeper look for quite some time - for different purposes, as a kind of "general container format" or so. I hope I will find time to blog my thoughts about this topic.

BAD_CTX

Today I had great fun with my Intel© SSD. I switched the PC on, and -in a nutshell- soon bad things happened. As it turned out, the SSD-drive (Intel SSD 320 Series, 160GB) was broken. It was listed as an 8MB-drive with the serial-number "BAD_CTX 00000166". A quick search on the Internet revealed that I am not the only one with this kind of trouble... However - most other bricked devices seem to report "BAD_CTX 00000136" or so (the famous firmware bug related to problems with power loss). I tried all sorts of things (changing the cable, the HDD-port and so on) to no avail.

 

After I had given up any hope on recovering the data (no, I do not have a complete and recent backup, just in case you wonder...) I was ready to give "Secure erase" a chance (as it was recommended in many posts on the internet). Well, it took quite some time and fiddling around, but finally I was able to execute the Secure erase function in the Intel Toolbox. And surprise, surprise - it put the device to life again. We will see how long this life will last... Or should I have better RMAed the drive?

My trust in SSDs obviously has dropped significantly, that's for sure.

On with Like and +1

I had to fiddle with the Like-/PlusOne-buttons once more. My previous attempt had a bug (the +1-button did not work properly), so I decided to give AddThis.Net a shot. It worked flawlessly (after some tweaks), is properly integrated into blogengine.net and seems well done overall. The tweaking was just to add a using statement in all cs-files (using BlogEngine.Core.Web.Extensions;) - seems to be an incompatibility with version 2.5 of blogengine.net. Besides this - no problems.
What I did not like about AddThis.Net was that it added the buttons below the text (or above) like this:

 

Whereas I prefer it in the place where it is now. So, for the time being, I am sticking with my approach. Of course, I fixed the problem and rolled up with AddThis. We will see how this works out...

 

EDIT: This is getting funny... it seems that AddThis.Net today got updated → http://dnbegallery.org/cms/List/Extensions/AddThis. So, maybe this story continues...

Like or +1 my posts

New feature for the blog: I added a Like- and +1-button to the blog's frames. This is about these two guys:

 

I did not find a ready-made plug-in or something for blogengine.net. Is this possible - or did I miss something? This plug-in did not work for me: some compile-error and so on, I did not look deeper into the subject (since the last update to this project dates back to 2009). So, I ended up adding these buttons by hand.

Just in case (remindeder for myself):
get your code for Facebook's Like-button here: https://developers.facebook.com/docs/reference/plugins/like/
and for Google's +1-button here: http://www.google.com/webmasters/+1/button/

 

EDIT: I should have looked harder... of course there is a plugin for this: AddThis.NET v5. OK, I'll switch to this any time soon...

my new blog - finally up and running?

Finally, after a couple of failed attempts - my new blog is up and running!

I put this together on a V-server running WindowsServer2008. I used Microsoft's WebMatrix - which makes the installation a child's play. ...or at least, that is what it seemed to be. In fact, it took me the better part of the day to figure out how to publish the site using WebDeploy. The setup of WebDeploy worked like described here or here - the problem was that the "Management Service Delegation"-icon did not show up. And, needless to say, deploying a site did not work. After a while I found this, and the procedure with downloading the standalone installer and installing it with custom settings finally did the trick.
Not sure if I missed something or screwed something up in the course of trying to fix this, though.

Well, there is a lot to be learned...